Labor unions and work in Iceland
Workers from the member states of EU and EFTA)
have the right to work in Iceland and do not need residence- or work permit.
Citizens from outside the EEA must have work- and
residence permit before they start working in Iceland.
Framsýn Labour union
Framsýn is the biggest union in the area. Their office is on Garðarsbraut 26 and is open Mon-Fri from 8: 00-16:00. The unions provide help, advice and assistance with everything regarding worker´s rights. Framsýn is a part of the Icelandic Confederation of Labour (ASÍ).
Framsýn Union has made agreements with different services in Iceland about reduced prices for their members, for example flights and hotel rooms. It offers support for adult education, such as Icelandic courses and for health matters such as glasses, massage and psychological services.
Tel: 464 6600
Free information brochures about the icelandic labour market, workers rights and obligations in english and polish are available at Framsýn office and website
Major public holidays:
- New Year’s Day (January 1.)
- Good Friday
- Easter Sunday
- White Sunday
- 17 June (Iceland’s Independence Day)
- Christmas Eve (24 December) after 12:00
- Christmas Day (25 December)
- New Year’s Eve (31 December) after 12:00
For work on these days, workers are paid according to the so-called major public holiday rate, which is higher than the regular overtime rate.
- Second day of Christmas (26 December)
- Maundy Thursday
- Easter Monday
- First day of summer (first Thursday after April 18th)
- Ascension Day
- 1. May (international labour day)
- Whit Monday
- The first Monday of August (Shop and Office Workers’ holiday)
For work on these days, workers are paid according to the regular overtime rate.