The mission of HAC, as described in its organizational charter, is fourfold;
- being a center for lifelong learning and adult education in the region.
- expanding educational offerings in the region.
- offering vocational and recreational courses and study programmes
- being a center for distance learning in co-operation with schools offering such programmes.
- providing guidance and counceling to students and prospective students
- working with businesses, municipalities and institutions in shaping their educational policy and providing customized study programmes.
Research and development
- being a hub for research and researchers in Þingeyjarsýslur county.
- initiating research in the region.
- providing service to the scientific community; independent researchers, postgraduate students, institutions and organizations.
- being instrumental in facilitating co-operation and increased activity among those who do research in the region.
- taking active part in shaping a dynamic environment of innovation among parties of interest in the region.
- facilitating collaboration in research and innovation among parties of interest.
- operating a well equipped study facility in Húsavík and, as needed, elsewhere in the region.
- working with universities to increase the offering in distance learning and local study opportunities in þingeyjarsýslur.
- working with universities to develope study programmes and courses based on natural and cultural traits unique to the region.
Coordination of academic studies and research
- strengthening the community in Þingeyjarsýslur by offering dynamic lifelong learning programmes, distance learning programmes and active research.
- coordinating research, academic work, education and development amont the parties of interest in this field.